Saturday, May 5, 2012

Conquering Expectations

Step. Step.
What if I am not what he thinks?
Trying my hardest to stay in sync.
Don't say the wrong things.
Won't say the wrong things!
Talk about the weather
Can't go wrong,
can you?
Step. Step. Step.
Don't even know what
he looks like. 
Don't even know what 
I look like!
Step.
"Excuse me,
where is the restroom?"
"This way."
Step. Step. Step.
Hair straight, 
makeup adjusted,
dress smoothed.
Step. Step.
This is it. 
Could be the one.
Don't screw it up.
Won't screw it up!
Step. Step. Step. Step.
Wait.
This is not how it should be-
what about me?
First impressions..
Isn't love above all this?
Just want something real-
something right.
Forget the world-
all the perilous happenings.
Forget the people-
all staring. Laughing.
Gotta like me
for me.
Forget about looks.
Forget about worry.
Gunna let me tight,
pinned up, 
hair down. 
I am
on MY way. 

3 comments:

  1. Hannah this is amazing because it is so real. You can tell that this is something that you worked really hard on. The main message that I got out of it was that you have to be yourself. I think that is really important. The "step. Step" part really took you into the poem. It really symbolizes the speed of the poem. You can tell that this girl is nervous, and it helped draw my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you added the step, step, steps into the poem because it really shows how many things go through a persons mind with every step they take. I love how you ended this poem by capitalizing ME. It really put emphasis on that you will do whats best for you. I know a lot of girls can relate to this poem including myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem Hannah. I love how you encorperated the steps that the bride takes down the aisle into the poem. It was very creative and unique. I especially love it because no body else took the view of the bride and her thought process as she walks down the aisle. It also gave the poem a sense of speed, which I particularly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete