Saturday, May 5, 2012

If Ever I had a Favorite Line...

"'Did you ever get fed up?' I said. 'I mean did you ever get scared that everything was going to go lousy unless you did something?'" (Salinger 130).

This quote has spoken to me since the first time I read it. It just has so much meaning! It speaks in so many ways, and I feel like every person that reads this sees it differently; yet, we could all relate to it! For Holden, who is just "fed up" with life and the game that it is, this quote tells us why he acts the way he does. If he plays the game, everything in his life would just be lousy. What is life if you can't make it what YOU want it to be? He is so different because he is trying to do something. More than most of the rest of us can say. We are all content to just play along with the game. What's the worst that could happen right? It seems to work for most people. But then, where is the happiness for those people? Where is the individuality? What if we had a world full of Holden Caulfields?

2 comments:

  1. I picked the same quote that you did it really stuck out to me too. I like what you said about what is life if you can't make it what you what it to be. That is so true why should we do what society wants us to do if it doesn't make us happy? Why do we always follow what they want us to? We should be more like Holden in this sense and not do everything the world wants us to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice quote, that was one of my favorites too. I like how you mentioned that it can be interpreted by people differently. It just adds to the Catcher in the Rye's charm, so to speak. No matter what path of life you come from, you can relate to this book in so many different ways. I also took that message out of the book. I really admired Holden for taking his own path as well.

    ReplyDelete