Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye (Chapter 2,3, & 4)

    After reading these chapters of the Catcher in the Rye, I think that I like Holden. He seems like a very interesting kid! We don’t know much about what the story is or what happens to him so I cannot really say whether this judgment will last; however, as far as first impressions go, I think I will rather enjoy him. He seems to be a pretty typical teenager. We know that he is rebellious because he smokes and he is getting kicked out of his school. It makes me wonder if he doesn’t care or if maybe he is just lacking attention.
    Through the many things that he talks about, I find that I can empathize with him. We share many of the same opinions, such as our feelings for books. “What really knocks me out is a book that when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it” (Salinger 18). I don’t like that he seems to not do what he wants. He thinks things through a lot from what I can tell. “‘I oughta go down and say hello to her, at least.’
    ‘Why the hell don’tcha, instead of keep saying it?’ Stradlanter said.” (Salinger 32-33). I am told that I do this as well, and I now see how annoying it can be. Maybe we have more in common than I suspected!

No comments:

Post a Comment