Friday, April 20, 2012

Holden Through my Eyes

    Holden Caulfield is a very interesting character! In many stories, the author creates a character that can be very annoying. Have you ever read a book that you just had to put down because you couldn't handle the way the character acted? Or the decisions that they made? If not, let me tell you that it can get very frustrating! As I am reading this book, I have found that the good and the bad in Holden make him seem more like a real person! He swears an awful lot. Sometimes I feel that it is unnecessary sometimes; however, teens today have their own type of slang as well. He is over dramatic and judgmental, but he is also the type of person that notices the little things! "I mean when she was talking and she got excited about something, her mouth sort of went in about fifty directions, her lips and all" (Salinger 77). If you are just having a conversation with someone, you would not notice things such as this. Holden does. He is also very thoughtful! He always comes back to the same things. For example, Jane keeps coming to his mind. He thinks about things like them playing checkers together and hanging out on her front porch.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite things about Holden is how observant he is! He seems to notice every single little detail about everything, and I often wonder how. Maybe it has to do with the fact that he chooses to isolate himself? I also think the way he always speaks his mind which makes him so real and easy to relate to. The author did a really good job of making Holden sound like a teenager with his own slang and all.

    ReplyDelete