Saturday, April 28, 2012

Holden Found Everywhere

'Better is one's own duty imperfectly carried out than
following perfectly the law of another.
Better is death in the fulfillment of one's own law,
for to follow another's law is perilous.'
-The Bhagavad-Gita
 
I believe that this quote is pushing for nonconformity.  It basically says it is better to do something your own way, than to follow some other person's way. It makes you your own person. It is better to dye as yourself, because following another's rules is dangerous to your identity. I think this relates to Holden because I feel he is afraid of losing himself in the world. I get the feeling that he doesn't want to be forgotten. Holden sees how easy it is to just live and die without being noticed. He starts the story with, "If you really want to hear about it..." (Salinger 1). Maybe he doesn't come right on and say it, but isn't that why people tell their story? So that others can learn from it? This way he can never be forgotten! I mean if we didn't want to "hear about it", why would we be reading the story anyway?
"'Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.' 
'Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it.'
Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all right- I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game" (Salinger 8). 
The way Holden talks, it's almost as if he has given up on the world. It's as if he sees no point because there is no way to win unless you play by the rules- which he does not want to do.
 
And I so hate consequences
And running from you is what my best defense is
Consequences
Oh God, don't make me face up to this
And I so hate consequences
And running from you is what my best defense is
Cause I know that I let you down
And I don't want to deal with that

It just now hit me this is more than just a set back
And when you spelled it out, well, I guess I didn't get that
And every trace of momentum is gone
And this isn't turning out the way I want

And after all of my alibis desert me
I just want to get by
I don't want nothing to hurt me
I had no idea where my head was at
But if my heart says I'm sorry can we leave it at that
Because I just want for all of this to end

Relient K- I So Hate Consequences ♫ ♪ 
 
This song is from an album I listen to when I am in a rebellious mood. The album is called MMHMM and it is song by the musical group Relient K. I think this song fits Holden perfectly. Right now, we know that he keeps getting kicked out of schools and does not seem to care about much of anything. He doesn't want to face anything for many reasons. I believe one is that he is scared to disappoint people, even though he is so self riotous and won't admit it. He won't tell his parents he got kicked out because he doesn't want to disappoint them again.
 
When I got tired of running from you
I stopped right there to catch my breath
There your words they caught my ears
You said, "I miss you son. Come home"
And my sins, they watched me leave
And in my heart I so believed
The love you felt for me was more than
The love I'd wished for all this time
And when the doors were closed
I heard no I told so's
I said the words I knew you knew
Oh God, Oh God I needed you
God all this time I needed you, I needed you
 
This line comes latter in the song. I think this is how Holden is feeling. We don't know much about Holden's parents maybe he lacks love from them. They may still be hurting from the loss of their other son, but maybe this is the reason Holden acts the way he does.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you looked at Holden's story through a different perspective. Like how he doesn't want to be forgotten. Also I love when you said Holden is afraid of losing himself in this world. That could be one of the reasons he felt so sick with himself when he hired the prostitute. It was against his morals, but he was pressured into it. Holden always tries to do things for himself, not because he feels society is pressuring him to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! I also think that he doesn't want to be forgotten. It seems he's always striving for attention. I really liked the quotes you used. They did a good job proving your point. I don't think he wants to follow the rules either, so maybe that's why he ended up hiring a prostitute. I wish Holden's parents were better people. They should be helping him through the grieving process and giving him attention. By his parents not paying attention to him, Holden chooses to do whatever he wants.

    ReplyDelete